Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Summer Highlights

It doesn't seem possible that summer is almost over, but the MN State Fair starts tomorrow and Labor Day is just around the corner. The girls and I spent much of the summer swimming, going to garage sales and playing.

The big outing in June was strawberry picking at Berry Hill Farm. The girls had a blast, and I'm afraid Madisen ate more than she put in her bucket! I tried my hand at making strawberry jam, and it actually went better than expected so we will be "enjoying" jam for many months to come.
Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

In July, we went camping over the 4th of July weekend at our friends' property near Backus. This was my fourth time sleeping in a tent, and I can't say that I liked it any better than the three previous times :) The girls had a blast, though, and we were able to ride on the 4-wheeler, go for boat rides on the pontoon, swim in the lake and make smores in the evenings. The weather turned out to be beautiful-not too hot and no rain, so I was very thankful for that! We were also able to visit the Claypool's, and it was great seeing them again. The girls fell in love with Megan, especially after she took them for a ride on her horse-Cochise. (We had a hard time convincing Morgan when we got home that we would not be able to keep a horse in our backyard, too.)

Morgan, Megan & Cochise
Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Madisen waiting for her turn on Cochise
Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Since David's teacher in service began August 15th, he took Monday and Tuesday off for one more family outing. We were able to go to Duluth for an overnight and even stay at the Sheraton, a new hotel in downtown Duluth. Thank-you, priceline : ) Most of the time there was spent at Canal Park, where the girls fed the sea gulls, "skipped" rocks into Superior, and watched some big ships go under the lift bridge.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Morgan climbed this big anchor and that couldn't get down!
Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

After Duluth, we took the girls to the Children's Museum, which I highly recommend. There is so much to do there, and they are always chaging around the exhibits. Morgan's favorite part was getting to mop the porch in the outdoor play area, and Madisen's was catching rubber fish in her net.

Having fun at the sand table.
Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

We are looking forward to going to the State Fair this Friday; it is always one of the highlights of the summer for us. I may even do a blog about our fair experience, but I'm not making any promises : )

5 comments:

2Icecubed said...

Carla, you are so funny! I loved seeing all the updated pictures. Isn't that always how it goes? Trying to get in those last "getaways" before school starts again?!?!? Sounds like you have had great fun this summer! I am with you about the state fair. Ours was Aug 8-19. We had a great time, but decided from now on we will do county fairs with the kids and date to the state fair!!!:) School starts here on Friday. I am so ready!!! I'll be looking for your state fair pics soon!!!:)

Jill said...

Carla, thanks for the update! I LOVED the picture of Morgan on the anchor in Duluth. That is so cute! How neat that you got to go see the Claypools. Sounds like you've had a fun summer. Are you coming for the teacher's convention this year?

Marcy said...

You're brave, Carla! My one tent experience at the C and C camping trip was enough for me! I commend you for doing it four times!:)

SturgillMom said...

Carla, I loved catching up with your summer happenings. Those were great pictures! I haven't been to a State Fair since we went with the youth group in high school...isn't that SAD?!?! Michael says that he isn't a "fair" kind of a guy!

WTBroke said...

HEY, DAVE,
Just wanted to say "hi" and tell you your children are beautiful. Thanks Carla!
Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family. God has blessed us with some wonderful memories this summer as well.
God bless, my friend.